Wednesday, March 22, 2017

THE HEART OF THE KING

WORK OUT YOUR OWN SALVATION WITH FEAR AND TREMBLING. Philippians 2:12



THE HEART OF THE KING IS IN THE HANDS OF THE LORD AND AS RIVERS OF WATER, HE TURNS IT WHERE EVER HE WILLS. Proverbs 21:1 




I WOULD HAVE FAINTED HAD I NOT 'BELIEVED TO SEE' THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING. Psalm 27:13

I used to wrestle with how to bring heaven down to earth ... meaning, how to fit God's promises into my everyday battles, especially where Caesar was concerned. The Lord did say render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar ... like bills and taxes, tires and car registration. David said, "I would have fainted had I not 'believed to see' the goodness of the Lord in the Land of the Living," which I believe means supernatural help for everyday life. He knew God was with him -- and we know God is with us -- but will the Lord deliver us in our time of trouble? David testified in Psalm 46:1&2 - God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be removed and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. 

Yet we also read that David, upon realizing his idea of placing the ark of God back in its rightful place wasn't working out like he thought, was afraid of the Lord that day. 

And David was afraid of God that day, saying, "How shall I bring the ark of God home to me?" So David did not move the ark into the City of David. Instead, he took it to the house of Obed-Edom of Gath. The ark remained there in Obed-edom's house for three months, and the Lord blessed the household of Obed-edom and everything he owned. 1 Chronicles 13:12-14  

Let's take a closer look at David: we see very clearly that, like us, David struggled too. The ark was on its way into Jerusalem after wrecking havoc in the Philistine camp as well as in the company of their idol, Dagon. It would seem that the very appearance of a driver-less cart coming up the road into Jerusalem hauling the ark of God was proof enough that God was back! But when Uzzah died so instantly after trying to steady the wobbling ark, David had to re-evaluate just how he was going to accomplish it. How was he going to bring heaven down to earth? He got alone with God to work out His own salvation with fear and trembling. 


Working out your own salvation with fear and trembling is all about faith. God is much more than a last minute savior. When he said the Kingdom of Heaven is within you, He meant it. But what did He really mean?

Let's take a look at Daniel. Try to imagine you are in the lion's den. From scripture we see Daniel trusted God to the point of possible death. Daniel wasn't bold and courageous in his own strength. He needed to know how to fit heaven into earth. We know from scripture that by refusing to bow to the Babylonian god, He was working out His own salvation with fear and trembling. WE can see God is protecting Daniel from the lions but who on earth did Daniel have to rescue him from the Lion's Den?

In Chapter 5 we read that there was a new king in Babylon. His name was Darius. Daniel was a leader at this point and King Darius chose men to help Daniel. The men didn't like the idea of this captive foreigner being their leader. They observed Daniel praying three times a day, refusing to eat the king's meat, and refusing to bow down to their god so the men persuaded King Darius to draft a law that would get Daniel out of their way. When the men reported to the king that Daniel refused to bow to their god, the king had no choice but to throw Daniel to the lions. Because Daniel was faithful to God, his actions, attitude and behavior stood out. He was different. Darius observed Daniel. Rather than bring attention to himself, Daniel's faith brought attention to the reality of Daniel's God! 

In our own experiences we might be praying at this point for God to change the law, but the law could not be changed. Even the king encouraged Daniel that his God would save him. The king fasted all night. He couldn't sleep. In the morning the king went to the lion's den. He called to Daniel ... "Was your God able to save you from the lions?" The lions had not hurt him. He told the king that God had shut the lions' mouth. The king was very happy! Daniel was safe. Not only had God saved him, but God put heaven in the heart of an earthly king. Someone in Daniel's everyday life was on Daniel's side ... even the very one who decreed a law that couldn't be changed.


Let's take a look at Ruth. We pick up the story in Chapter 1. After a famine and ten years of marriage, Ruth's husband died. Her sister-in-law, Orpah, had also lost her husband. The two men were brothers, Mahlon and Kilon, and both widows were now in the company of their mother-in-law, Naomi, who also lost her husband, Elimelek. Now try to imagine yourself in Ruth's place. This is the time we'd be trying to bring heaven down to earth. What a dismal, lonely and scary scene! Grand-children are on Naomi's heart. She urges her daughter-in-laws to head back to their homeland. "Best possible way to find husbands and have children while I am still alive to see them," she exclaimed. Go, I am too old to bear you husbands now." Orpah agrees, but Ruth ...? Ruth longs to remain with her mother-in-law even though the likelihood of finding a husband is slim to none. Nevertheless, Ruth implores Naomi, "Don't urge me to leave you, for where you go, I'll go, and where you stay, I'll stay. Your people will be my people and your God will be my God. May the Lord deal with me be it ever so severely, even if death separates you and me, I still want to go with you." Ruth 1:16. 

Naomi tells Ruth she can come with her but reminds her that she is heading back to where the elderly live. Ruth had observed Naomi's actions, attitude and behavior. She watched how she handled everyday life and so her hope, like King Darius, was in Naomi's God. Naomi had become very weary. She felt forsaken by the Lord and discouraged but Ruth was still hopeful. Like Darius, God had prepared Ruth's heart to encourage Naomi. You see, from scripture we see God's hand is on both Ruth and Naomi but who on earth was going to rescue these two helpless widows in the distress of everyday life?

Upon entering the city, the Bible says that the whole town was stirred up but did they give the women what they needed to survive?

v.20 - "Don't call me Naomi! Call me Mara, which means bitter. I went away full but the Lord has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi when the Lord has caused me to suffer, and the Almighty has sent such tragedy upon me?"

Here we see a weary Naomi who must have demonstrated strong and consistent faith in the eyes of Ruth. Yet, isn't this a vivid description of how we as Christian believers feel when we know God is with us but there is no sign of relief  from the battle of everyday life? 

v.22 - Nevertheless, we read on that when Naomi returned to Moab accompanied by Ruth, her daughter-in-law, they arrived in Bethlehem just as the barley harvest was beginning. God knew something that the women didn't see. 

We pick up the scene in Chapter 2 with Ruth gleaning in the field along with the poorest people of the land.



What Ruth didn't see was a certain someone noticed her. God turned the heart of a man called Boaz in her direction. She didn't know that Boaz owned the field or that he arranged for the harvesters to leave more than usual behind for Ruth to gather. While she had been working out her own salvation with fear and trembling, God was at work in the heart of Boaz. God was moving heaven to earth for her.




Later, after he reveals himself as the one who redeemed her, we find Ruth sleeping at the feet of Boaz in overwhelming gratitude. He had already redeemed her before she saw him.


What a picture of redemption! Would that we would sleep in sweet peace at the feet of Him who alone has been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hast formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting thou art God. Psalm 90: 1&2   

Our father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven ...

If we would truly believe what Jesus told the disciples after then asked, "Teach us to pray," we would understand what follows next ...

"Give us this day our daily bread."

Notice David didn't say, I would have fainted (passed out, given up the ghost, laid down and died) had I not SEEN the goodness of the Lord ... He very carefully proclaimed, "I wouldn't have survived had I not BELIEVED TO SEE the goodness of the Lord in the midst of my daily helplessness." 

Let's take a look at me. I recently prayed long and hard to the Lord for new direction in my life. I prayed for two weeks waiting on the Lord. I laid down my own ideas. I asked Him to level the playing field. I broke up my fallow ground. Afterwards, I was as weary and empty-feeling as Naomi. And then, God led me to do something I never dreamed possible: to open a business when I didn't have much money. He did this by reminding me of a scripture -- a scripture with which I had a great deal of trouble understanding ... "She 'considers' a field and buys it" from Proverbs 31. That was the scripture that sealed the deal for me to pull over and shake my fist at God!

"I have no money, Lord!" And yet I knew He was speaking to me. He was teaching me how to bring heaven down to earth ... how to 'believe to see' the goodness of the Lord in my everyday perplexities, like paying bills when there were more bills than money. He was showing me how to render unto God what is God's and how to render unto Caesars what is Caesar's. If He says we are whole, and entire, and in want of nothing, than we are not incomplete, empty or in want of anything. What does that mean? It means that by faith we work out what we see with what we don't see and consider what we need as though it were already so. God told Abraham, "I have made you a father of many nations." Now God spoke these words to Abraham while Sarah, his wife, was yet barren. Nevertheless, in time she conceived Isaac. The Bible says that it came to pass because Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing. Romans 4:17 (NLT). Abraham believed God who calls things which be not as though they were. (KJV).

Faith is further explained this way:

For unto us was the gospel (good news) preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. Acts 4:2

I tell you he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith? Luke 18:8 

This was the concluding question to an otherwise disparaging story. In Luke, Chapter 18 Jesus taught about a certain widow who was experiencing one of those 'near fainting' experienced in her everyday life. He tells of a a judge who admitted he neither feared God nor cared about people. Even after he dismissed her case, she continued to beseech him to avenge her of her adversary. Jesus said he was an unjust judge but because she was wearing him out with her constant requests he saw to it that she got justice. In the end he rendered a just decision.

So don't you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? Luke 18:2-7



Not long after I stepped out into this new field that I had not purchased but merely 'considered' for two years prior, the income I expected to glean from it was not happening. My landlord was becoming concerned -- and so was I -- that I wasn't going to be able to pay the rent. 

It was the king's decree. The contract was signed, and the law could not be changed. I became afraid of my landlord because I knew, like Caesar, he meant business. I believed God was with me ... but was He going to deliver me from the mouth of the lions? I had no idea that God was dealing with the heart of my landlord. When I stepped into the lion's den, the king (landlord) was merciful and postponed what I owed for rent, giving me more time to develop my business. God brought heaven to earth. The heart of the king was in His hands of the Lord and like rivers of water He turned it in my favor. 

God brought heaven down to earth. He did it for David, Daniel, Naomi, Ruth, Abraham and Moses. Other men and women of great faith are mentioned throughout the eleventh chapter of Hebrews -- also known as the chapter of faith -- and he'll meet all your needs according to His riches in glory for all that put their trust in Him. By faith these individuals were able to keep on going because they kept their eyes on the one who is invisible. Hebrews 11:27 (NLT). "Now how does one keep their eyes on something they cannot see? By faith." - Cindy Farias

God has a way in which to bring the ark of God home to you and to me. Sometimes it is in the opposite direction of where we think we should go. Remember the lame man at the Pool of Bethesda? He complained that every time he tried to get into the healing waters, someone else got there before him. When Jesus came by, notice that he didn't turn into a lifeguard, blow his whistle, and order everyone out of the pool so this poor man could finally have his turn. He took the man to another place and healed him.


 The kingdom of heaven is at hand. It is also within us, and in the His name, Emmanuel, which being interpreted means, GOD WITH US. And if He is with us, He is also with the king whose heart is in His hands.

Amen.       
           








1 comment:

Suzee Creamcheese said...

These blogs of yours are obviously inspired, you let God use you as his mouthpiece more than anyone else I know. You sure don't hide YOUR light under a bushel! In bringing true-to-life stories to this here blog site, you make God more real to me with each one. "He holds the heart of the king in His hands!" I am eagerly watching to see what his plans are for our new president! I mean, hey, who knows, right? The point is I trust God the best I can. Certainly not enough or consistently BUT he gets that. It is enough for me to know.
love
Suzee C. Cheese