Thursday, September 14, 2017

SPEAK THE WORD ONLY

"Just speak the word only, and my servant will be healed." Matthew 8:8


The centurion begged Jesus, "One of my servants is home sick of the palsy, grievous tormented!

Jesus didn't hesitate. "Come on, let's go right now!" Jesus was more than ready, willing and able to accompany him back to the house, but the centurion said, "No, I am not worthy to have you under my roof, but just say the word, and I know my servant will be healed. I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, "Go," and they go, or "Come," and they come, and if I say to my servant do this or that, he does it. Matthew 8:9 

Just speak the word only and my servant will be healed.
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to those who were following him, he said, "I tell you the truth, I haven't seen faith like this in all of Israel. "Go home. Because you believed, it has happened!" And the servant was healed that same hour. Matthew 8:13  

And his servant was healed that same hour. Matthew 8:13
So I ask you, what boss calls the doctor for you, or seeks such help for one of his employees? This employer was no doubt in upper management. You'd think he'd be too business-minded to worry himself over one employee. At the very least, he might have his immediate supervisor give him a call, but most likely not even a manager would bother.  I've never had a boss call me to see how I was doing. If they did call, it was to ask when I was coming back to work. 

So when will you be coming back to work?
I have one of those mothers-in-law that smothers her son with as much coddling as she can squeeze in. She literally pats him on the back or gives him a little squeeze on his arm.  She often oversteps her bounds, usurping the role of both wife and overprotective mother. No one could possibly love or care for her son the way she can. In doing so, she is condescending, patronizing and elevates herself to a place of superiority in every micromanaging way possible. Recently, her son had knee surgery that required quite a bit of aftercare. She was right there, making sure I did every little thing to her exact specifications, such as, "be sure to wear gloves when you change the bandage, and you will change the bandage in the morning, won't you (not a question) ... I'll be calling to make sure you do." And with that, she gave me 'the look.' As she was leaving with all maternal pomp and circumstance, I reassured her not to worry ... that I would take very good care of 'her son' to which she replied, "Oh, I know you will ... I've been watching you!" As much as she would like me to think she was complementing me, she wasn't; she was bestowing her approval, which I didn't seek or need. I was particularly offended -- more than other times when I felt watched and controlled by mother-may-I as if I worked for her rather than with her. 


As soon as she was out of sight, I ran to the Lord with my complaint, but instead of ministering to me after her outlandish offense, the Holy Spirit began to remind me of this story about the centurion and his servant. I had no idea where the Lord was going with this. It seemed He was always taking me the roundabout way to somewhere else ... like a parent changing the subject, hoping maybe I'll forget about my disgruntled irritation, and our little heart-to-heart will end with a laugh or two ... eh, eh ... and maybe --- just maybe -- after my tears are dried he'd hear me say, "Oh Lord, how did you do that trick? I feel so much better now!" But, no. He told me a parable with a personal message that was tailored just for me ... a little mystery for me to figure out. And figure it out I did! It was like a gift ... a great big present wrapped with pretty paper brimming over with oodles of swirling ribbon under a big fat bow  ... and inside was a wonderful, unexpected surprise!  

This isn't a story about a centurion, or a boss, or a manager. It's a beautiful picture of God, Himself. He is the one with the trusted, faithful, willing and obedient servants. He is the one who cares about the one and the only, you! God is not a micro-manager! Those of us who work for Him have autonomy. We come and go, and our boss doesn't get out the white glove or monitor our every move. He cares more about our welfare than our work. He'd rather see us use our gifts and calling in a creative, expressive way rather than follow a list of chores.  He doesn't have a checkoff list for us to sign. He makes sure we have all that we need so that we lack nothing to get the job done well, and He meets those needs with carefulness, compassion and concern. Our approval will come later when one day we will hear Him say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" 

This is why He was so amazed by the centurion's declaration of faith that he had to turn to those who were following Him saying, "I've never seen such faith in all of Israel!" The centurion saw a glimpse of the Father that no one in Israel ever saw before ...

GOD IS NOT A MICRO-MANAGER!

Needless to say, I wept at how carefully my heavenly Father orchestrated a story that ministered so expressly to me, and set me free from the bondage of an overbearing, controlling and oppressive spirit. The message and its meaning is this: I don't work for her. I am not her servant. I am a staffer in the House of the Lord, and freely and gladly do whatever my Master asks me to do. When He says, "Go," I go, and when He says, "Come," I come. In like manner, the Lord demonstrates the same for us so that we may say, "Just say the word and I know you will do it." We are created in His image and in His likeness. He is the true Caregiver ... the Good Samaritan ... the one who crosses over to the bleeding side of a helpless man otherwise left for dead, and He does it with love, dignity and a high regard for His people. He doesn't overlook or dismiss us!



For he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. Luke 1:48


For the rest of the week I took care of 'the patient' the way the centurion cared of His servant, and I did it all as unto the Lord. No one could be better suited for the job than the one God calls, whether it be to do this or that, or to go here or there. He doesn't always call the qualified, but He does qualify the called by placing Christ in you, the hope of glory! Therein is what Jesus meant when He said, "I have meat that ye know not of." (John 4:32) The fulfillment of His work was to do the will of His Father.

King David got it too ... "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10 

Many people say that more hours in the workplace would make all the difference, particularly in austere economic times. But a recent report suggests that we are more concerned with our independence, rather than the contents of our bank accounts. The research, a big stats-crunching study of 40 years' worth of data from 63 countries and 420,000 individuals, examined the national levels of well-being by looking at psychological health, anxiety and burnout. Thy authors compared these measures with the calculations of wealth determined by *gross domestic product (GDP) and autonomy (the felling of being independent.) Across all measures, autonomy had a larger and more consistent effect on well-being than wealth. (More Money or More Freedom, Which Would You Choose?; Forbes; Sebastian Bailey 2013) 

Jesus said, "My yoke is easy, my burden is light, and my commandments are not grievous."

Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed unto him as a few days because of his love for her. Genesis 29:20

Like King David, you and I can serve the Lord with gladness, and come before His presence with singing! Psalm 100:2 

We love Him and serve Him because He first loved and served us ... with autonomy rather than micromanaging.  Yes, my friend, God has regarded your low estate and is concerned more about your liberty (autonomy) than placing you under a yoke of bondage (micro-management) 

*The Bureau of Economic Analysis measures nominal GDP quarterly, which is the best way to compare gross domestic product between countries.  







1 comment:

Suzee B said...

I love how our Father comes through with fresh revelation when we depend upon him for it. You are always inspirational as you continually share your gob-smacking experience of relationship with 'team trinity' and please don't ever stop!
love
suzee B